The History museum in Pernik
was established in 1953 as a city museum, and the first exhibit was opened in 1957. As of 1959 the museum grew into District people`s museum, and after the administrative and structural changes made in 1968 it was called District history museum.
The Museum has the following departments: Archeology, Ethnography, Bulgarian history 16-17th century (Bulgarian National Revival), New and newest history, Mining.
The exhibit of the History museum was opened in 1973, and renewed 1978. Some 11,000 people visit the museum annually. Temporary exhibitions are organized in the recent years.
17,085 units of basic fund and 37,833 units of additional fund are stored in the museum. It has a photo studio and a restoration workshop.